This page is dedicated solely to written contributions form others.  I can not guarantee any of this is either fact or fiction, but one thing that I do know is that some times another person's insight is prety interesting.  Want to make a contribution?  Send me an E-Mail.

This first contribution was made by Jim Thissle:

I don’t claim to be a “know it all” but would like to clarify the names of the Associated line of engines as the names are often misused. (Just got tired of people calling every Associated engine a Chore Boy). Only been active in the hobby for 15 years so this information may not be 100% complete. YMMV. The 11/2 HP engines that are a one-piece casting of cylinder and base are called the Busy Boy if air cooled, and the Johnny Boy if water-cooled. Higher horsepower engines are a two-piece casting between the hopper or cylinder and base. Both style 1 ¾ HP engines are called the Chore Boy (there are early Chore Boy engines, 2 piece castings, that state 1 ½ HP on the tag). The 2 ¼ HP water-cooled engine is called the Hired Man, the air-cooled, the Hired Hand. There is a rare 2-¼ HP engine called the Jerry Boy that was used in a railroad motorcar similar to a Fairmont. This engine would operate in either direction, just reverse the engine cam lobe! There is also a 3 HP Mule Team. The 4 HP and up were all water-cooled, the 4 being named the Farm Hand, the 6 HP the 6 Mule Team (Special?), the 8 HP the Foreman, and the 10, 12, and 18 HP were all Mule Team models. Early engines were named but later on all engines from 3 HP and up were called Mule Team models. This was true for both hit & miss and throttle governor engines. The smallest throttle governor Associated engine was the 2 ¼ HP, the largest the 18. Later engines were up rated; these were called the Iowa Oversize Line and can be identified by the small brass oval serial number tag at the rear top of the hopper and other model changes. If the name tag is missing bore size and part numbers can usually identify the specific engine.