Maize & Blue Farm

My Engines

Menu

 

rightbar.gif (265 bytes)

Jaeger1.jpg (39434 bytes)   024.jpg (46027 bytes)  

Jaeger 

2 HP Model S

Built in 1926 by Hercules

Rebadged by Jaeger Machine Company

Columbus, OH

filler.gif (809 bytes)

Links  

 

This engine has been my favorite engine pretty much all my life.  I'm not sure why, perhaps because it always seemed to start for me no matter what.  For years, I begged my dad to sell it to me and out of the blue, he gave it to me in 2000!!!  I can't think of a better first engine.  I know one thing, I'll still own it 60 years from now.

 

Originally, this engine would have powered a Jaeger cement mixer, and I hope I can reunite it with one someday.  Here is an ad for one as it originally came:

jaegerad.gif (50113 bytes)


     

United Type A 009.jpg (497809 bytes)   United Type A 013.jpg (495462 bytes)   United Type A 011.jpg (478047 bytes)

United Type A 015.jpg (482461 bytes)  United Type A 008.jpg (456932 bytes) United Type A 006.jpg (481804 bytes)

United

2 HP Type A

Built around 1916

Sold by United Engine Company

Lansing, MI

 

This is my newest arrival (July, 2006).  It is my first ignitor type engine, so I get to do little learning about that.  Is is in good condition, but has a chip out of the exhaust port and a small piece broken off one of the governor weights.  It runs at a real nice pace.  More later as I get to know it better.

 


wheelhorse2.jpg (74105 bytes)   wheelhorse1.jpg (76069 bytes)   haydenonwheelhorse.jpg (61642 bytes)

1968 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger

Powered by a Maytag Model 92

(Better pictures to come)

 

This was my 1999-2000 basement winter project.  I bought the lawn mower frame minus engine at the 1999 Hudson Mills show thinking that I could make a tractor for my kids.  After a few initial test mountings in 1999, I decided a Maytag really could do something useful, so I let it sit for a year.  (Not much sense there, eh?)  I finally got inspired in June of 2000 as my 2 1/2 year old couldn't keep his hands off the partially disassemble tractor in the basement.  I tore the engine apart, put a new rod in, and painted it up like new.  I then tore the Wheel Horse completely apart and wire brushed it to death before finally painting it and reassembling it.  (Hint:  I know this is cheating, but I took very detailed pictures as I took it apart to help in putting it back together).  I can't say I did anything of engineering genius to make the engine work with the tractor.  I simply mounted it on 1 x 3 skids, then onto the frame slightly offset with the pulley on the correct side.  Putting the pulley on that side made me have 3 reverse gears, so I bought a longer belt and now have it doing a figure eight.  Problem solved.  It runs great and will carry me with 4 kids in a trailer on flat to gentle slopes.  Not bad for a washing machine engine!  This contraption is making life at the shows much easier, as my kids just love the chance to drive it around.  


mgomaize@yahoo.com