Called the vertical "Frost-Proof" these engines
were first available starting in 1905. They were built in a 1hp size
that weighed 540 lbs and a 2 1/2 hp that came in
at a hefty 700 lbs. The hopper and cylinder were a large single piece
casting. The crankcase was partly enclosed but had open sides as well
as an access door. An odd combination of materials were used for the
connecting rod. The cap was of cast bronze yet the rod was forged iron
with a babbitt insert. All bearings were lubricated by oil and although
the main bearing caps have a place for an oil well cap to keep out dirt,
some engines dispensed with this feature having it chiseled off the
bearing cap casting. The very first engines had split hub double bolt
flywheels but were quickly changed to a solid hub design. A cam driven
fuel pump supplied fuel to a simple overflow mixer with the cast sub
base doubling as the fuel tank. These engines utilized a pull rod
system and featured a cleverly designed exhaust rocker that doubled as
an ignitor trip. An intake valve locking device was also operated by
this rocker system. Very few of these engines were built and they were
quickly phased out of production.
The 1hp engine on a factory built 2 wheel hand truck.
An early example of the 2 1/2hp engine.
2 1/2hp engine powering a fairly large cement mixer.