ENGLISH BUILT ENGINES



Click on thumbnail for larger photo

ENGINES BUILT BY RICHARD HORNSBY & SONS

R Hornsby was well respected in steam engines when in 1891 they became sole manufacturers of the low compression paraffin engine of Herbert Akroyd Stuart The first Hornsby-Akroyd engines left the Grantham England works in May 1892. De la Vergne company purchased the rights to manufacture engines in America in 1893. Hornsby started making vertical engines in 1895, the largest 550hp was built in 1908. R Hornsby took over J E H Andrews in 1905 which formed the bases for a re-design normally using a single flywheel. When WW1 finished most Hornsby customers were no longer there and in September 1918 merged with Ruston-Proctor to become Ruston & Hornsby.

R HORNSBY Portable Petrol Engine 7.5 HP Number 40593, it has a Bore of 5.5" & Stroke of 9" the magneto is a Low Tension Bosh 32. This engine left Grantham England on 10th June 1912 for the Sydney office of Hornsby It spent its working life driving a chaff cutter at Spring Hill near Orange NSW. Restored to original colour in 1995 having been re-sleeved, water jacket and petrol tank repaired because of frost damage






ENGINES BUILT BY R A LISTER

R A Lister started at Dursley Gloucestershire England in 1867 manufacturing cream separators and general agricultural equipment. At first Lister held an agency for Petters. The first Lister built engines were a direct development of a Southwell built by Stover Manufacturing Co America, in 1908 Lister purchased the rights to sell Southwell / Stover engines but in May 1909 R A Lister & Co Ltd introduced their own Lister Safety Petrol Engine. Lister are still building diesel engines today.

LISTER. Type J, 2.5 HP Number 5633 it has a bore of 4.5" & stroke of 5.5" - Built 1912. The engine is fitted with a Bosh 22 flick magneto.



LISTER. Type D2H, 2 HP Number 1/67220 - Built 1951. The engine is fitted with a Lucas RS1 magneto and was found in a poor condition in a creek bank near Oberon NSW.



LISTER. Type A, 3.5 HP Number 946A2 it has a bore of 4" & stroke of 4 3/8" - Built 1952. The engine sent its working life in the Portland N.S.W district.







ENGINES BUILT BY CROSSLEY BROTHERS

The company was founded in 1866 when Francis Crossley purchased a business from J Dunlop in Manchester, the next year William Crossley joined his brother. In 1869 they manufactured Otto & Langen Atmospheric gas engine and in 1876 they took sole rights to build the Otto Silent Gas Engine which was the first commercially successful horizontal four stroke engine in the world. In 1888 they built their first hot tube ignition engine.Crossley Brothers made many engine types before going into receivership in 1965, they have had several owners since then but still trade as Crossley Engines

CROSSLEY BROTHERS Type J - Gas engine Number 59251 - Left England 20th March 1910 for the Sydney agent A Cowan, it has a bore of 4" and stroke of 8". This engine was originally made to run on town gas but was converted to petrol with carburetor and magneto by the agent to sell it.

This engine is now restored back to original gas operation See how it looks Click Here:



ENGINES BUILT BY BLACKSTONE & COMPANY

Blackstone was manufacturing agricultural and barn machinery when in 1895 they took an interest in the Reliance Oil engine that resulted in the designers, the Carter Bothers joining Blackstone to continue its development. The first Carter designed continuous lamp start Blackstone engine was manufactured in 1896. A redesigned vaporiser in around 1903 dispensed with the need of the lamp once the engine was running. Blackstone built gas engines in sizes 1.25 to 14bhp from the late 1890s. Around 1913 S.F.C. Start From Cold paraffin engines was introduced to meet a ministry requirement to start and run without time delay with hot bulb ignition, this was achieved by using a Low Tension magneto and igniter.

Blackstone was bought out by R.A.Lister in 1937 with high hp engines being produced at Blackstone's Stamford factory until 1992, Blackstone is now owned by MAN B&W Group.

BLACKSTONE Type W Oil Engine (kerosene) 3 HP. Number 65927, built 1908. it has a bore of 4.5" and stroke of 10". This engine was used to drive a shearing shed on a sheep station west of Nyngan N.S.W




ENGINES BUILT BY TANGYE LIMITED

Tangye Limited was founded in 1857 in Birmingham. In 1881 they built their first engine and in 1892 were among the pioneers of oil (kero) engine production. Between 1903 & 1905 the model B engine was introduced with several revised models to follow. The first Tangye diesel engine was released in 1915 and remained in various models until the last Tangye engine was dispatched on 12th Nov 1963.



TANGYE model B 5hp Number 7287B built about 1910. It has a bore of 5.5" and stroke of 10". It is unknown for what and where this engine was used

TANGYE model B 5hp Number 7897B built about 1910 This engine spent some part of it working life on an orchard near Lithgow NSW



ENGINES BUILT BY J B PETTER & SONS

The original company was called Nautilus Stove, After reading an article in The Boys Own Paper (1895) on future transport Petter brothers built an un satisfactory "horseless-carriage". They decided to adapt the oil engine for agricultural and industrial uses which resulted in a series of horizontal engines being built until 1915. In 1910 the first vertical surface ignition two-stroke engine "V" range were built, this style remained until 1940. In 1938 the company was acquired by Brush Electrical Engineering, in 1957 became part of Hawker Siddeley and in 1985 merged to become Lister-Petter Ltd.



PETTER Universal P.U.8 8/4 HP Number 21840 built about 1943. Horizontal opposed twin cylinder 4 stroke. It has a bore of 2.95" and stroke of 3.25".The engine was built in war time England for The War Office but spent most of its working life with the Australian Army before being disposed of.