Dad's 3 HP Evinrude Lightwin
...Home...


Back in 1959, Dad bought a 3 HP Evinrude Lightwin outboard motor. His was Model Number 3030, Serial Number 06719. The picture at the left is of a motor similar to his. I can remember as a child going with him on fishing trips on the Calcasieu River, especially to a place called Quibodeaux's. He carried his motor in the trunk of the car and would rent a boat on the river, all day for 25 cents. Nobody was there to collect the money. There was a can to put your quarter in.

Long after Dad died, I began thinking about that old motor and wondered if it was still around. I asked my mother, who is now also deceased, if she knew what happened to it. She had no idea. Not long after that I asked my brother-in-law, who had lived right across the street from Mom and Dad for years, if he had any idea what had happened to the motor. He told me that he had remembered seeing it long ago in Dad's shop. I kind of forgot about it until some time later he told me he had found it. I rescued the motor and brought it home to my shop.

It sat at my shop for several years before I decided to do something with it. I tore the motor completely down. The pistons were so badly stuck in the cylinders that I broke both rods and rod caps trying to get them out. So, I sat everything aside to collect dust, thinking that even if I ever got the pistons out I'd never be able to find the parts that I needed. Little did I know.

Then one day I was browing eBay and discovered this 3 HP Evinrude Lightwin powerhead up for auction. This was March 8, 2005. Though it was for a later model, I verified with the seller thru an exchange of emails and pictures, that it would in fact fit my motor. So I began bidding. I ended up high bidder and was able to buy the unit for $32.69. Now that's a pretty good price, even though the splined coupling at the bottom end of the crankshaft was stripped. That wasn't a big deal as I had the crankshaft from the original motor and it would be easy to install it in the replacement powerhead.



Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of Dad's motor before I began disassembling it. It was complete and in fairly good condition. Here is a picture of the pieces after disassembly. One interesting thing I discovered was that Dad had scratched his initials inside one of the cowls. I suspect this was his way of being able to identify the motor if it were ever stolen or otherwise lost. After all, these motors only weigh about 30 pounds. So most anybody could pick it up and walk away with it, though I suspect in those days that would have been uncommon.



So began a journey of tender loving care to restore this motor to it's original glory. Please continue with the following pages to follow the restoration.


...Page 2...
...Back...