Lister 5/1 Diesel

Ruston-Hornsby 1ZHR

Rebuilding the Ruston - Page 16

19/05/2010

Went down to the weighbridge, trailer and engine total is 2.3 tonnes. The trailer is 508kg so 1792kg or 1.792 tonnes for the engine and trolley etc.

Towed well on the way there and back, no issue as all, handled better than I expected. Just added European breakdown cover to our basic AA membership, cost 70 and includes the trailer.

Disco should be ready tonight, we are told.

26/05/2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The trip to Nuenen and the show itself are covered in our trip report:

Stationary Engine Site

Oldengine Site

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a super weekend, we can report a successful running of the engine, with no major problems, just a few 'nigglies'. The engine was unloaded very easily when we got to the rally field, and went back on again quite easily.

The trolley still allows a bit of shaking about when up on blocks, but it is much better than when on the trolley wheels alone. The water slops out of the top of the tank a fair bit, even with a circular block of wood in there, although that could be bigger, and I have some other ideas in that area.

The starting solenoid stuck a few times, but generally the starting system worked without fault on all the days, the belt drive gave no problems, other than a slow build up of oil and dirt on the alloy pulleys, which cleaned off OK.

Running was reliable and we ran up to an indicated 80 deg C before shutting down to allow it to cool off. We ran with the lid on the tank for most of the time so proper cooling wasn't available.

We probably ran for about 12 hours or so in total, the flywheel seems to have stayed where it was in that time, and no other mechanical issues cropped up. Oil consumption was very low, and the exhaust was perfectly clean once up to speed, although obviously not on load.

Next jobs are to get the alternator working and the control panel installed! There was another 1ZHR on the rally field, an engine with a Markon alternator attached. This ran over the weekend, although the cooling tank was even smaller than ours.

The Ruston in the sunshine at Nuenen, we have always been lucky, with excellent weather at the rally.

The Discovery and Trailer as we were about to leave the Nuenen rally site on the Tuesday morning.

Philip's Series III Landy and Trailer as we were about to leave the Nuenen rally site on the Tuesday morning.

Rita and Martin Perman by the Discovery and trailer, waiting to go onto the ferry for the return journey to the UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

28/05/2010

After the successful weekend at Nuenen, we have to carry on with the work to get the alternator running and the control box with metering built up. We started on the meters some time ago, and got the front bezels cleaned up and painted, so this week we started on getting the meter scales sorted out.

The existing scales are nearly right, but have INPUT and OUTPUT on them which are the wrong way round for us, so we have to strip the scales out, scan them, edit the scan and then print the scale on photo paper and stick it over the old metal scale, or on the back of it at least.

The meter movements are moving iron and moving coil, and are a delight to work on, being made in the 1950's when quality was King. Each scale has the customer name etched on the back (Legg, makers of fork truck chargers amongst other things) and the details of the meter movement. Everything is screwed together and easily dismantled (with care)

The coils for the ammeter shunts are fine, but the 50A meter is too high a rating for our alternator, so we will wind a new coil, change the numbers on the scale (we already have a 0-5A, but will need 0-15A for 2.5kVA) and calibrate it against one of our Fluke meters in the workshop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

30/05/2010

After a day on the website pictures, I got back to getting the meter scales sorted out. Pictures below show the 'before and after' images.

Basically, all the scales were scanned and the images lightened and given more contrast, then individual scales were separated out and the numbering and lettering adjusted to suit out needs.

The 0-50A ammeter is now 0-25A
The 0-5A ammeter is still 0-5A but has had the lettering amended.
The 0-300V meter is still 0-300 but has had the lettering amended.
The 0-25V meter is now rescaled to 0-30V and has had lettering amended.

The scales were printed out on photo paper as we did for the Petter meters, and later today I'll try a fit to see how they go. They needed a slight reduction (98% of full size) to maintain their size.

First pair are the voltmeter scales:

Followed by their new replacements:

Then the ammeters:

These are similarly 'adjusted' to the voltmeter scales, removal of lettering and re-scaling of the 50A to 25A to suit the alternator output.

All were done on the PC, we used a standard Epson scanner and Paint Shop Pro 7 to do the work, plus the HP Photosmart inkjet printer to output the images.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rebuild 1 Rebuild 2 Rebuild 3 Rebuild 4 Rebuild 5 Rebuild 6 Rebuild 7 Rebuild 8 Rebuild 9
Rebuild 10 Rebuild 11 Rebuild 12 Rebuild 13 Rebuild 14 Rebuild 15 Rebuild 17 Rebuild 18
Rebuild 19 Rebuild 20 Rebuild 21 MainRuston Menu