Lister 5/1 Diesel

Ruston-Hornsby 1ZHR

Rebuilding the Ruston - Page 11

18/04/2010 Continued

The broken priming lever is going down to Luton with us tomorrow, our friend Vince is going to see if he can silver solder or braze the end back on.

Mostly assembly and checking things today, although we did get a few new items bolted on. First job was a heavier stay for the exhaust clamp, which we turned up out of a bit of 30mm Dural bar, that made the whole assembly much more solid.

Next we started to get the flywheels fitted and started to check on final positions for the rev counter pulley and Poly-V drive wheel. We had to make up a new support for the rev-counter as the original one is too heavy and the foot is too large for it to fit on the deck of the trolley. We used a bit of masking tape to try the alignment of the rev counter drive pulley and the rev counter itself.

The rev-counter bracket was a simple affair, a bit of 40mm box section and a circular disc of 6mm steel welded on top. We used spacers to align the drive up, simpler to turn up and make than almost anything else. We used M10 nutserts in the chassis frame to take the support bolts.

With all the pulleys and flywheels on, it is starting to look like a real engine!

Last job of the afternoon was to fit the new (empty) control box to the alternator, get the rubber mounts installed and punch the hole for the cables. once that was done and the cables tucked inside, it looked a lot more tidy.

Pretty knackered tonight!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18/04/2010 Continued

This is the oil filler cap that we would like to use as a fuel filler on the Ruston.

We believe it is from a Cummins L10 engine, and is made in the UK, so there may be a smaller version that we can use. This one is too large as it stands.

This is the parts page showing No21 as the filler cap.

We think that the part number is MAK222GB27A. We would like to know who makes it if at all possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

19/04/2010

We were out on site in Luton this morning, and after a visit to our screenprinters in Letchworth, and popping in to see Vince about getting the priming handle brazed, it was past lunchtime when we got back.

Main job was to pin down the sizes for the parallel fkywheel key that we need for the new flywheel, and after a few measurements with a telescopic hole gauge, we ended up with 12.98mm. This allows for a slight flywheel lift as the key goes in and a light interference fit. The key will be drilled and tapped in the end before fitting, so we can get it out again! We will apply one of the Loctite sealants to the key on final assembly.

With the present arrangement, we have the indicator eccentric, then the new flywheel, then the rev-counter pulley and last, the Poly-V groove drive wheel, which has its own taper-lock fitting.

The belt for the Poly-V drive side of things is stuck in the postal system, waiting for the planes to start flying again, so we cannot do a drive assembly of any kind yet.

What I did get hold of was another Cummins part, a cambelt idler/tensioner wheel, which we then made up an outer sleeve for, to increase the effective diameter and to make it wider to suit the 10-groove belt.

It took half an hour on the lathe, it is a press fit onto the original pulley, but we will apply Loctite just in case. Next job is the V-Belt tensioners, and we have ordered the two rollers required, just got to sort out the two brackets with adjuster slots in.

Rita happened upon the knife switch that I had been looking for, so I wobbled up to the factory and got that mounted on the piece of Paxolin (SRBP) that had been cut ready for it. A pair of stand-offs and a 350A fuse and it was done.

The switch and fuse will be in the negative line from the left-hand battery, and will isolate the batteries when the engine isn't running and while travelling. Pity the fuel tank is right above!

The fuse is rated at 350A, we have a lot of this type with ratings from 100A so will try and see what the lowest value is that we can use.

The fuse is mounted on stand-off insulators, not because of any voltage problem, but because Paxolin is a bonded paper substrate, and if it gets warm, it softens, so any terminal/connection bolted through the plate will loosen and get even hotter, which starts a thermal runaway and burning of the parts. We have regular business repairing another company's products that were built that way.

I'll drill the fixing holes tomorrow, and drill/tap the frame for a couple of M6 bolts and washers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20/04/2010

Busy day today, had to load a Lister CE and big 12kW motor onto the trailer to take down to Sittingbourne in Kent tomorrow, one of the items we recently sold on Fleabay.

Looking into reversing the starter rotation today, the S-O-M alternator has a series-wound starter, which doesn't want to reverse its direction if the polarity is reversed, so we got inside the brush box and changed the starter field coil around, which did the job. When the thing is running we can also look at the field control for the alternator and the battery charging side, to make sure that they are OK.

Stayed on after work tonight to get the S-O-M parts mounted up in the control box, after first getting the spider's webs and leaves out of the parts and generally cleaning up the screws etc for the terminals.

Hoping to have the water hoses tomorrow, and the flywheel keys are on the way down from Edinburgh by post. The tensioner rollers and brackets should also be here by the weekend.

Pictures of the control box below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rebuild 1 Rebuild 2 Rebuild 3 Rebuild 4 Rebuild 5 Rebuild 6 Rebuild 7 Rebuild 8 Rebuild 9
Rebuild 10 Rebuild 12 Rebuild 13 Rebuild 14 Rebuild 15 Rebuild 16 Rebuild 17 Rebuild 18
Rebuild 19 Rebuild 20 Rebuild 21 MainRuston Menu