Lister 5/1 Diesel

Ruston-Hornsby 1ZHR

Rebuilding the Ruston - Page 7

06/03/2010

After a long and very cold winter, we started back on the Ruston project, with the 2010 Nuenen show as the target for its first outing. An unusually long winter meant that it was into March before we could get outside and onto the job again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took a while to get all the sheets off and sort out what to do first, but the engine was originally assembled loosely to try the fit and arrangement of the alternator layshaft, so first job was to strip the engine down and get it off the frame and trolley.

Once that was done, we turned the frame over and marked out and drilled the other side for the two front engine bolts. That was the main job to do, plus we opened up the frame to trolley holes from M12 to M16. there are only four bolts and M12's looked a bit small.

The two channels for the trolley to frame mounting had their holes opened up to match, and that was all we had to do on those parts to finish. The frame and mounts will be off to the shot blasters in the week,

Next job was to assemble the layshaft onto the trolley frame and get the holes drilled. There isn't a huge amount of clearance between the trolley and frame horizontally and we only just have enough room on one side to get the pulley on the shaft to drive the alternator.

Having done that, we got the sheet of Chequerplate out to mark it up for cutting. There are two levels of the chassis where it lays, and we cannot get a double step bend right in the middle of the sheet, so we intend to put it on in two pieces. That was marked up ready for the guillotine, will also get the corners chamfered as well to make it look more tidy.

Once that was done, we had a sort-out of the bits and pieces, the Petters AV1 is going on to fleabay later on tonight, plus a few Landy bits that are surplus to requirements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18/03/2010

Hope to get the frame back from the painters tomorrow or Monday, so we can start final assembly onto the main 'bomb trolley'. The parts have been shot blasted and Zinc sprayed before being powder coated in semi-gloss black.

Another job which has exercised my meagre talents is the refurbishment of the four large meters which are going to be fitted in the control cabinet. These have been waiting for some time, but I was unsure about how dismantleable they were, being a waterproof construction but with a cast iron front ring.

In the event, they came to pieces very easily with no broken parts, although one glass has a crack in it. We stripped the paint off the front rings and after masking and priming them up, they were sprayed with an aerosol in semi-gloss (it was supposed to be a gloss I think!) acrylic paint.

Just got to get some etching primer for the main cases, which are ali castings. Pictures below show the meters and the various bits as we painted them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

24/03/2010

Frame etc back from the shotblasting and powder coating processes, and we've had the chequer-plate cut up to suit the stepped deck of the trolley frame.

We got the chequer-plate drilled and the trolley chassis drilled and tapped, and then got the clearance holes for the frame mounting bolts drilled, and that was it.

Did a trial assembly, all looked OK, we have to cut a clearance hole for the alternator drive pulley on the layshaft, and pack up the front mounting to bring the engine level, due to the step in the trolley frame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

25/03/2010

Hoped to get a bit of time on the chassis during the day, but the weather had other ideas!

Did manage to get the chequer plate cut to clear the layshaft and bearing blocks, and the drive pulley.

Picture below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

27/03/2010

One of the best days I've had on the engine stuff for ages!

Philip was going to do his rear X-member on his Landy, and I had a collection for something sold on ebay, so we more or less spent the whole day at the factory, Rita came up and supplied food and drinks during the day, many thanks to her.

The engine was on the trolley from the other day, but there were a lot of things to sort out on the ancillary side, auch as the cooling tank, fuel tanks, batteries etc etc. First job was the framing etc for the tanks.

We had also put the box section end caps in place which tidied the frame up nicely, and then we got the battery tray in place and put the two batteries in as well.

The fuel tank, which was a 10 Euro purchase at Nuenen in 2008, and Simon Jennings' water tank were put in place, and we turned up some spacers to raise the tank up a bit so we could undo the fuel filter underneath.

The last job was to secure the water tank using the rods we made last year. We were going to thread the ends, but in the end we used some male/female spacers, drilled the female thread for the rod to sit in, them drilled and tapped M4 through both.

The finished result is quite tidy. We will sit the tank on a rubber sheet.

Philip in the background hacking his rear floor away, preparatory to taking out the rear X-member. This will be the second one it has had, although this time he is fitting a quarter-chassis, which includes the rear spring hangers as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rebuild 1 Rebuild 2 Rebuild 3 Rebuild 4 Rebuild 5 Rebuild 6 Rebuild 8 Rebuild 9 Rebuild 10
Rebuild 11 Rebuild 12 Rebuild 13 Rebuild 14 Rebuild 15 Rebuild 16 Rebuild 17 Rebuild 18
Rebuild 19 Rebuild 20 Rebuild 21 MainRuston Menu